Thursday, July 18, 2013

A frantic week full of prayers, and then a miracle...

Having come to this island is a learning experience, but I doubt I'd ever come back. That is what I would have told you last week.
But now, I feel like I will come back. This new place feels like home. It feels more like home than anything has since Jay and I lived in Walnut Creek, CA... Let me back up ten days...
Things weren't working out in terms of staying with our original hosts. They're wonderful people, but the situation just wasn't working. Their farm hasn't been producing due to a series of technical breakdowns: the tractor, the mower, and the truck (multiple times).
When they kindly told us we needed to leave, move into a tent, or start paying rent in just one week (on July 8th), I panicked a bit. Jay panicked a bit too. We started by praying a lot, meditating and seeking guidance. We did some crying, some sleeping, some talking and some more praying. I messaged the few people I knew on the island, seeking a new living situation with no luck.
I tried couchsurfing.org, which I've had good luck with on the mainland during road-trips with my Dad, but despite sending around 15 inquires, I got no replies. I posted to Craigslist, as well as The Heartbeat of Kaua'i, listing our skills and what we were interested in doing.
We figured we weren't making it at farming (that really wasn't anyone's fault), so perhaps we should go back to the familiar territory of food preparation. Perhaps some well-off person or family would have a spare room for us and a desire for us to prepare healthy, cleansing meals for them. It seems likely, doesn't it? Especially here, where many well-off people live.
Wednesday (July 10th 2013), at the Farmer's Market in Kapa'a, we asked around, and we gave out our number to people in crowd who seemed like likely candidates; people who may have interested friends or family. I prayed and meditated more, not really feeling encouraged, despite the general friendliness. I got the sinking feeling that Thursday market wouldn't be any better.
Thursday, we went to the Kilauea market. Something that morning felt like a bad omen of sorts, and I thought perhaps it meant that I was going to make a mistake (like miss an opportunity), but when Jay and I got to the market, there was this lack of any draw. We didn't feel the desire to talk to anyone, to try to give out our number, to try to collect information. We just wandered about, looking, but not speaking. We didn't talk to anyone there.
We figured we needed to look in Princeville and/or Hanalei, since those are the more well-off places. That's where the mansions are. I noticed (in an online listing) a Nia dance class at the Princeville community center. Nia dance is a combination of martial arts, Qi Gong, Tai Chi, yoga and dance. It's like a yogic version of Zumba. I'd heard of Nia, but never been to a class.
Jay and I decided to go to the class, and we figured that we might meet someone or do something that would lead to us finding the right place for us. Maybe something else would be going on at the community center, for example.
So Friday we walked to the bus stop and there we met Mark. He was sitting there with his notebook, and the first thought I had was, "There is a cool guy. A guy with a notepad of paper and a pencil." We got into a conversation with him, and he gave us the number of someone he thought might have a work-trade situation available.
To Clarify: We came here expecting to exchange our labor for 40% to 90% of our food, as well as our place to stay and other needs. We didn't come here expecting to pay rent (and can't afford it right now), so seeking a "work-trade" situation was really our only option. That arrangement didn't work out with our original hosts' farm due to the aforementioned machinery breakdowns.
We got on the bus, got to the Princeville Community Center, took the Nia class (and enjoyed it), and then wandered about afterward. We didn't feel called to anything (and nothing much was going on nearby), and we bused home after a while.
Friday night we were really worried. Our last ditch effort for the week was the Saturday market in Hanalei. Jay kept asserting that he had a good feeling about the market. Our original hosts expressed their concerns that we didn't know what we were going yet. Jay stated that he felt optimistic.
Saturday morning we walked to the bus stop. We forgot about bus hours being different on the weekend, and so we were waiting for 45 minutes for a bus that wasn't coming. We walked a short way towards our destination, thinking when we got to the highway we'd stick out our thumbs and attempt to hitch-hike. We've been told that hitch-hiking on this island is safer than on the mainland.
I'd never hitch-hiked before, so the idea was really scary to me. Cars drove by, and one of them caught my eye and I said, "If I'd had my thumb out for that car, they'd have picked us up." And Jay said, "Yeah, I think they would have too."
We didn't know how we knew, we just agreed that it was the case. When we got to the corner, and were at the gas-station, pretty close to the highway, we saw that same car stopped in the gas station. As the car was pulling out of the station, Jay asked them through their open car window, "Are you guys going to Hanalei?"
The driver replied, "Hop in."
And so we did. The driver and his girlfriend were nice enough people. He was driving her to work at a pizza place in Hanalei. Since Hanalei is a small place, dropping us off there worked perfectly. We didn't have a very long walk to the market.
I didn't ask them about having a place available or knowing of a place. Something in my gut told me, "It's just a ride."
We noticed that the Hanalei market was different from the other markets immediately. Instead of just food, there was also jewelry for sale and musical instruments. We looked at prices on fruits and vegetables and noticed that the prices were doubled what we saw at the Kapa'a Wednesday market. We didn't buy anything.
I wasn't finding myself drawn to anyone or anything. I was tired of walking. I was tired of lugging things about (water canteen, bags, posters, my food photo portfolio, my home-made sun-screen, etc). I was tired, and sore, and hadn't been sleeping well due to the stress of not knowing what we'd do if we didn't find a new place to stay.
I saw a man at a stand with herbs in water. It seemed like the water was free. He said, "If you're thirsty, have a drink." I enjoyed the water with the herbs. It was quite good. The man seemed nice and interesting. So we inquired; did he have, or know of a work-trade living space available?
He wanted to know if we were interested in aquaponics or had any experience with it. He and his wife had been looking for someone to get their aquaponics system going. Aquaponics is something I've written about, studied a little bit, and been an enthusiast for, even since I first heard about it. It's a system where fish waste feeds plants, and plant waste feeds fish, as well as other symbiotic animal-plant relationships. Some people use chickens in their systems. Here we'll have duck-waste as part of the system.
We said we were very interested. He gave us his wife's number and said to talk to her. We called her and she was hesitant to extend much by way of encouragement, but she said we could come and see the place.
Saturday evening we came to Shosanah's and Neal's place. They showed us a tiny cabin with little shelves. When I saw the shelves I immediately saw them filled with the little bins we'd previously bought, organized with everything easily accessible. The idea of not living out of suitcases was warming in and of itself. Laying down a heavy suitcase and unzipping it and digging around every time you want a single article of clothing is a real drag.
They showed us what would be our fridge. Small, but adequate. They showed us what would be our shower – outdoors in the sunlight. They showed us the walk from the cabin to the bathroom. We told them we loved it, and we wanted to come and stay.
Shosanah said she wanted to sleep on it.
In the morning I was restless. I felt like I had to keep "working" at finding a place. I laid down and began meditating. I asked, "What do I need to do to make this work?" And I got a clear response (not so much in words, but in feeling), "Nothing. Just wait."
I didn't need to wait long. Five minutes later Shosanah called and said we could move in. That was Sunday, July 14th 2013. It was six days after our original hosts had told us we had one week to leave or start paying rent. We just made it. Incredible, huh? Our original hosts were kind enough to drive us to our new place with our things.
It's Thursday now.
And get this... The guy, Mark, that we met at the bus-stop on Friday? He lives here! We hadn't yet followed up on the number he gave us to call when we met Neal, entirely separately. It's as though we'd have come here one way or another. A plan was in motion, and we going to follow it (even if we couldn't see how it was going to happen).
Shosanah is no longer hesitant about having us here, but rather feels enthusiastic. Today, when walking with her I saw the largest stick-bug I've ever seen today – it was three to four inches long. I saw it on an aloe plant. It was actually only the second one I've ever seen. The first one I also saw since coming to Shosanah's and Neal's land. I believe the large stick bug was reminding me of the power of the aloe, and how much aloe helps me when I consume it.
I feel like the first stick-bug, and somewhat the second one as well, is telling me, to "stick with it." They feel encouraging to me, as do lizards. Something about lizards vibes with me. Not that I need more encouragement now. I feel more at home here than I could have imagined.
Monday, Shosanah, Jay and I mucked out the pond. It had been doing beautifully for years, but it really needed a cleaning out, and so we drained it and used the foot of sludge at the bottom as fertilizer for the many wonderful fruiting trees on the land.
Tuesday we ran around Lihue on errands, getting some needed things for our little cabin – a few bins, a few hangers (both of which we should have bought more of – but I've been trying to be as frugal as possible), Witch Hazel, extension cords, and so forth. It wasn't a fun trip and I was relieved to return on Tuesday evening.
Since arriving here on Monday I've already learned much about the native tropical plants. Everything grows differently here. Rosemary grows six feet tall, some dandelions come with red spines down the center, oregano comes with leaves as big as your palm and cherries come in many shapes, sizes and colors.
I've done some weeding, pond mucking, pond-basin scrubbing (in preparation for adding fresh mortar), enjoyed fresh acerola cherries from a fruiting tree, collected lilikoi (passion fruit) off the ground, watched ducks waddle by only a foot away, been a part of planning for building a new green house, learned about growing water kefir, and been shown around several lovely garden beds bursting with herbs and kale.
This island doesn't have enough room for everyone, and this tropical place really wouldn't be right for many people, but it is right for me. I feel protective of the island already. I want to get Walmart (destructive corporate interests in general) and Monsanto-related interests off this island. This place still has its indigenous beauty... Preserving that is priceless. Bringing the land to the peak of its balance and beauty is something I can really jive with doing.
Jay says, "It's awesome that we have banana trees growing right outside our door." Bananas are one of his favorite fruits, if not his very favorite.
I have not taken any photos yet since we got to Neal's and Shosanah's, but they'll absolutely abound in the not-too-distant future, for sure.
There is more, but it is so much to write... But here is another kicker of serendipity: Shosanah has dealt with one of her children having mercury poisoning and what it takes to really detoxify from that. I bit a glass thermometer when I was three (and was poisoned with mercury – I had to have my stomach pumped and the glass picked from my teeth). That contributed to much of my illness and weakness as a child and teenager. Shosanah is willing and excited to help me heal fully. I am so thankful and feel truly blessed.
For those of you who prayed for us to find the right place – mahalo! thank you! – it worked. Our prayers have truly been answered.
Aloha, many blessings, much love,
~ Raederle
& On Behalf of Jay

1 comment:

  1. Ah. Only you, my daughter. Well, I know literally that isn't true, but I am very proud of you. For standing up for yourself, your responsibility, and what you believe in. But mostly for your ability to listen to Spirit, to follow your inner voice, to meditate and pray to "fill your spiritual gas tank."

    I am so thankful this has worked out. And now you're learning even another aspect of food.

    Your spiritual Guides will never fail, so long as you don't fail them.

    ReplyDelete